Toronto Bicycle and Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Representing Those Injured in Bike and Pedestrian Accidents
Toronto is a pedestrian- and bicycle-friendly city, but accidents and serious injuries still occur. When they do, the law is on the side of cyclists and walkers.
Shifting the Burden of Proof
In accidents involving two vehicles, the injured person must prove that the other party was negligent. The opposite is true in car-pedestrian and car-bike accidents. According to the Highway Traffic Act, drivers who hit and injure a bicyclist or pedestrian are presumed to be at fault for causing the accident. Drivers who do not believe they were at fault must present evidence to prove their case.
I regularly represent clients who were injured in pedestrian and bike accidents with motorists. Cases may involve:
- Pedestrians who were knocked down in a crosswalk or on a sidewalk
- Drivers who opened their doors in front of oncoming bicyclists
- Distracted drivers who failed to see and respond to bikers or walkers
- Aggressive drivers who intentionally ran bikers off the road
- Bikers or pedestrians injured due to a vehicle defect, such as sudden acceleration, or by a driver who mistook the gas pedal for the brake
Every case is different and should be evaluated by an experienced personal injury lawyer. There is no obligation to learn if I can be of assistance to you. Please contact me by e-mail or call 416 653 2442 (toll free at 866 825 2442) to arrange a free initia1/2 hour consultation and case evaluation. From my office in Toronto, Ontario, I represent clients throughout the GTA.